19 Oct 2024 19:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Dec 2007 19:48:45
Message: <4763246d@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:49:29 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Not to mention he contradicts himself. It is not ***possible*** for us
> to be blind to a thing, if it can't be seen in the first place. You
> don't get to have it both ways. God cannot be some intangible thing that
> only existing outside the universe, and apparently in the heads of
> people who think this argument makes any sense, and then insist that all
> the people that don't believe it just can't see, or hear, or recognize
> the truth, all words that imply he **must** be tangible to at least some
> sort of sense.

Well, I can't debate that.  Well, I suppose it could be an SEP field that
only he can see through, but that would make it his problem. ;-)
(Obligatory Douglas Adams reference again)

> Hubris doesn't even begin to describe how unbelievably ridiculous this
> is, though, since he is also trying to claim that only pharisee and
> bigots claim to be the ultimate authorities on what God is, yet is doing
> it himself with us..

Well, by definition, that's what hubris is:

Presumption, orig. towards the gods; pride, excessive self-confidence.
(from my OED).

Most people affected by hubris don't see that their excessive self-
confidence contradicts what they're saying.

> One should add Hypocracy to the claim, since he not
> only thinks he knows better than we do about it all, he can't grasp the
> fact that claiming such makes him the same as the people he previously
> agreed where dangerous, delusional and unChristian, for making the same
> exact claims.

Hypocrisy:  The assuming of a false appearance of virtue or goodness,
with dissimulation of real character or inclinations, esp. in respect of
religious life or beliefs; hence in general sense, dissimulation,
pretence, sham. Also, an instance of this.

I don't think that's the word you're looking for.  The phrase "Cognitive
Dissonance" comes to mind, though, as a possible alternative.

Jim